Monday, November 12, 2007

The everchanging story

Many of you reading this are aware of the DNA concerns with the Book of Mormon. If you are not there are plenty of other places where you can read about them. I will not get into detail here. But one thing that has caught my curiosity in the DNA landscape of the origins of the Native Americans is the changing of the Book of Mormon that coincides with the lack of DNA support for the book. The Book claimed, in its introduction, that the Lamanites were the PRINCIPAL ancestor to the American Indians. Spencer W. Kimball even said that Lehi was the ancestor of all of the Indian and Mestizo tribes in North and South and Central America and in the islands of the sea."

In the latest printing of the Book of Mormon, the introduction has been changed. Gone is the word "principal".

Pre 2007 -
"After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are the principal ancestors of the American Indians."

2007-
"After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are among the ancestors of the American Indians."

There may be only one material word changed in those sentences but that one word is huge. Especially in light of Kimball's comment. Kimball says "all", now the new introduction basically says "some". So who is right, the prophet then, or the leaders now?

Here is an article by the Salt Lake Tribune discussing it.
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7413508


6 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 22 years old, a year and a half home from the mission, attending BYU. I can relate to every pretty much every single post of yours, especially those about not being given an answer.

I'm leaving a comment because, and I hope this doesn't come off as nosy, I'm wondering how your relationship with your wife has changed (if any) because of your recent decisions/experiences. I've noticed in a couple posts that you love her dearly, and so I just was curious as to how your "not believing" has affected her.

I am trying to decide if/when I'll leave the church. I'll graduate in april of 2010, but I'm not sure I can wait that long. And, what of my social life? You can imagine trying to date girls who know I don't believe.

Your thoughts or comments on any of this would be greatly appreciated.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Rob said...

senorstumps, thanks for sharing.

My leaving the church was hard on my wife, but we both know how much we love each other, and we have actually managed to get through it rather well. It was tough in the beginning but we currently have an understanding of each other's beliefs that allow us to live a happy life together.
The things that have changed will be seen as minor by some and major by others. We still say thanks for meals, but that is pretty much the only family prayers we have. If she is putting the kids to bed, she will say prayers with them, if I am doing it, it is just reading books and talking, many times about the same things they would have prayed about. We still have family home evening, but my wife, (who prepares the lessons because I am usually just getting home form work) has managed to create lessons that focus on ethics and being good people, rather than scripture stories.
I have stopped trying to convince her that the church is wrong, she has stopped trying to convince me that it is right. I have my beliefs, she has hers. So instead on focusing on the differences we try and focus on the commonalities.
I empathize with your struggles, as I have been through it myself, but for me it was a bit different. I can't imagine being a non-believer at BYU, and single. I personally would have to look at different alternatives, not because BYU isnt a good school, it is. But, like you alluded to, the social aspect there is unique. If you are not a true blue dyed in the wool returned missionary, your prospects in the dating department begin to look slim. I'm not sure I could do it. I hope the best for you and hope you find a resolution to your conflicts, be it in or out of the church.

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Lady D said...

Rob didn't you know that I come from a cursed race...who was cursed with a darker shade of skin...I'm marked for life...because of my ancestors...and their disobedience. I have a BIG HUGE issues with this one. I'm glad you are keeping it REAL. Diana

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Weston Krogstadt said...

I have a blog about Book of Mormon Evidences, if you are curious to read about objective evidences to the truthfulness of the book of mormon, I type a new post every day witha new evidence, check it out:

realmormonism.blogspot.com

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger eskeptique said...

So do you think Joseph Smith just made up The Book of Mormon then? I'm curious what your counter explanation would be for where it came from. Maybe you don't have one, and that's fine. I've personally been trying to figure out where it came from, if not from Moroni and Mormon's nation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Degrees