Monday, November 20, 2006

Doubt

Yesterday in Sacrament meeting a speaker said the following line regarding doubt:

"Don't doubt, doubt is the tool of Satan".

I wonder where the LDS church would be if Joseph Smith listened to and followed this advice. Not to mention where the world would be if Copernicus, Galileo, Columbus, and other discoverers of truth had adhered to it.

Doubt is a necessary step in discovery of any truth.

Is this is what is meant by a doubt free testimony, a testimony where one shuns doubt because a belief that it is a tool of Satan? I don't think that is what the Brethren meant, but that is just my interpretation.

3 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, what a joke!

Doubt is indeed necessary and fundamental to free agency.

If we all knew the constants of the universe then we would BE the universe and locked in rigidity to the point of forcing compliance (sound familiar? It's called Lucifers plan).

I remember arguing faith as an absolute with an investigator while in Germany (about a year before I was wandering the streets with you Rob). He challenged me that I cannot tell him the gospel is true.

I remember trying to argue it and left rather baffled. Then my companion Elder Stocks patiently told me what an ass I had been (in kinder words). Ever since then I've felt the necessity to accept doubt regarding the gospel and respect the relative view points of others.

Rob, I'm sure you are being led through this for a reason that only God knows. So if God has a reason then why wouldn't he love you enough to end it and tell you one way or another.

It's frustrating I know, but perhaps there is an answer that we are missing here.

-Sterling

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The funny thing about this blog is that 8 million of the church's 14 million members are thinking a lot of the saaaaaaame things. Satan in the temple ordinances is part of why people react with such hostility to ex-mormons. P.S. we all have blogs: www.james15ad.blogspot.com

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Degrees